To clean a turkey mouth call, rinse it with warm water and then soak it in a cleaning solution. Afterward, let it dry completely before using it again.
Turkey mouth calls are essential for hunting, but they need to be cleaned properly to ensure they function properly. Mouth calls could become contaminated by bacteria and food debris, leading to poor-quality sound. The steps to clean turkey mouth calls involve rinsing with warm water, which eliminates any loose debris.
The following step is to soak the call in a cleaning solution. A vinegar and water mixture will work well. While using cleaning solutions, make sure to adhere to the manufacturer’s suggested time limit. It’s essential to let the call dry completely before using it. When stored wet, mouthwash can quickly grow bacteria, which can produce undesirable smells and tastes.
Why Proper Cleaning Matters
The Importance Of Cleaning Turkey Mouth Calls
As a responsible turkey hunter, you know that using a mouth call properly can make or break your hunt. So, it’s essential to keep your turkey mouth clean and well-maintained. Here’s why proper cleaning matters:
- Reduces the risk of bacterial infection: Turkey’s mouth tends to build up bacteria over time, which may cause infections and health issues if not appropriately cleaned.
- Maintains the quality of the call: A clean-mouthed call produces high-quality sounds, while a dirty one affects the quality and range of the sound.
- Prevents damage to the call: Regular cleaning can prevent your turkey mouth call from deteriorating over time.
Negative Consequences Of Not Cleaning Them Properly
Failing to clean your turkey mouth correctly can lead to the following negative outcomes:
- Build-up of bacteria: Dirty turkey mouth calls quickly accumulate bacteria, which can enter your mouth and cause infections or other health issues.
- Lack of effectiveness: the deteriorating quality of sound from the call can attract unwanted attention or fail to lure the turkey to the right location.
- Damage to the call: Over time, mouth calls become less effective if not cleaned and maintained correctly, leading to permanent damage and a shorter lifespan.
Taking good care of your turkey mouth calls can prolong their life and improve the quality of your hunting experience. Therefore, making cleaning an integral part of your hunting routine can make a big difference on your next hunt.
Understanding The Anatomy Of A Turkey Mouth Call
When it comes to turkey hunting, having a clean and well-maintained mouth call is essential. Not only does it ensure that the call produces high-quality sounds, but it also reduces the risk of bacterial growth and contamination. In this blog post, we will guide you through the process of cleaning your turkey mouth call, starting with the anatomy of the call.
Before we break down the cleaning process, it’s crucial to familiarize yourself with the different components of a turkey mouth call. Doing so will make it easier to understand how each part can impact the cleaning process. Here’s a brief overview:
- Frame: The rigid plastic or metal base that holds the latex or prophylactic reed(s) in place.
- Reeds: Thin, flexible pieces of latex or prophylactic material that vibrate to produce the turkey’s sound.
- Tape: Cloth or adhesive tape is used to hold the reeds in place on the frame.
- Cuts: The small, precise slits cut into the reeds allow for variations in pitch and tone.
Breakdown Of The Different Components
Let’s look at how each component of the turkey mouth call can impact the cleaning process:
- Frame: Dirt, debris, and bacteria can accumulate on the frame, potentially contaminating the reeds and creating an unhygienic environment for the user. It’s necessary to thoroughly clean and sanitize the frame to reduce this risk.
- Reeds: The reeds are the most critical part of the call, as they directly produce the turkey’s sound. Dirty or damaged reeds will significantly decrease the call’s efficacy and alter the sounds produced. It is critical to handle them delicately during the cleaning process.
- Tape: The tape should be replaced regularly, as it can lose its adhesive quality over time and become a breeding ground for bacteria. A dirty tape can also prevent the correct vibrations in the reeds, impacting the sound quality of the call.
- Cuts: The cuts are an essential part of the turkey mouth call, influencing the call’s pitch and tone. Any dirt or debris in the cuts can change the sound quality and projection of the call, so ensuring they are clean is crucial.
How They Can Impact The Cleaning Process
Understanding how each component can impact the cleaning process is essential. Here are a few key points to consider:
- The type of frame material will influence the cleaning method. For example, a metal frame can be soaked in water without fear of rust, but a plastic frame may not tolerate the same treatment.
- Reeds need delicate cleaning with a soft brush to remove dirt and debris without bending or breaking them.
- The tape should be replaced regularly, even if it appears clean. A tidy tape ensures that the reeds’ vibration is not impacted, allowing them to produce optimal sounds.
- Cuts require special attention during the cleaning process. A dirty cut will cause the call to not produce the right sounds and lead to unwanted contamination.
Maintaining a clean turkey mouth call isn’t just for improving sound quality – it can make all the difference in hunting success. With the right techniques and tools, cleaning up these calls doesn’t have to be a daunting process. Remember, clean calls are healthy calls, and healthy calls make for happy hunters.
Step-By-Step Guide To Cleaning Turkey Mouth Calls
Cleaning turkey mouth calls is an essential task before turkey hunting. Not only does it ensure the product’s longevity, but it also maintains the effectiveness of the call. If you’re not sure how to clean turkey mouth calls, don’t worry.
Here is a step-by-step guide to help you get it right:
Step 1: Disassembly And Inspection
The first step in cleaning your turkey mouth call is to disassemble it carefully. Inspect every part to ensure it doesn’t have any visible damage or deformities. If you notice any, it may be best to replace the call.
Step 2: Soaking The Call
Soak the call in warm water. You can add mild soap to the water if you wish. Allow the call to soak for about 15 minutes to loosen any dirt, debris, or bacteria that might be sticking to it.
Step 3: Brushing And Scrubbing
Remove the call from the water and use a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub the call. Ensure you clean every nook and cranny within the call. Avoid using rough brushes, as this could damage the mouthpiece. You could also use a toothbrush for extra care and precision.
Step 4: Sanitizing And Drying
After scrubbing the phone, it’s time to sanitize it. You can make a sanitizing solution at home by mixing equal amounts of hydrogen peroxide and water. Fill a small container with this solution and immerse your mouth in it for about 20 minutes.
After sanitizing, rinse the call thoroughly and leave it to air-dry. Don’t expose the call to direct sunlight, as this could cause it to deform or lose its shape.
Cleaning and maintaining your turkey mouth call regularly will ensure it’s always ready to grab the attention of turkeys when you need it during your hunting expeditions.
Advanced Tips And Tricks
Cleaning turkey mouth calls after a hunting trip is vital to ensuring that they continue to perform well on your next hunt. As an avid hunter, you know the importance of having clean and well-maintained calls to mimic the perfect turkey call.
If you are looking for advanced tips and tricks to make your calls last longer and work better, keep reading.
Using Specialized Cleaning Products And Tools
Using specialized cleaning products and tools is crucial to cleaning your turkey’s mouth effectively. Here are some tips to ensure that you use the right tools for the job:
- Use a turkey mouthwash cleaner that is specifically made for the purpose. Many brands are available, so you can choose one that works best for you.
- Consider using a cleaning solution or concentrate when cleaning your calls. These products eliminate bacteria and germs that accumulate in the air over time.
- You can purchase special brushes specifically made for cleaning turkey mouth calls. These brushes make it easier to clean the hard-to-reach spots on your calls. Alternatively, you can also use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
Tips For Extending The Lifespan Of Your Calls
Cleaning your turkey’s mouth regularly helps maintain its functionality and extend its lifespan. Here are some tips to make sure your calls last longer:
- One common mistake many hunters make is blowing the call too hard, too often. This can cause unnecessary strain on the reeds, making them break or wear out faster. Blowing your call with consistent, light pressure will help maintain the reeds’ lifespan.
- Try not to touch the reeds with your fingers when inserting or removing your call from your mouth. Oil and dirt from your hands can damage the reeds and cause them to break down over time.
- Always store your mouthwash in a cool, dry place to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold. It’s best to keep them in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid to ensure they stay clean.
- Avoid exposing your mouth to extreme temperatures. High temperatures can cause your mouthpieces to warp, making them unusable. Extreme cold can damage the plastic material and make the reeds become brittle or freeze.
Proper Storage Techniques
Proper storage is essential when it comes to maintaining the functionality of your turkey mouth calls. Here are some proper storage techniques you should know:
- Store your calls in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid to keep them safe and clean.
- Do not leave your mouth calls in a hot car where they can get exposed to extreme temperatures. Instead, store them in a cool, dry place, such as an air-conditioned room.
- It’s best to store each call separately to avoid tangling.
Remember, proper cleaning and maintenance of your mouth calls will make them last longer and function better, giving you the perfect turkey call every time. By following these tips, you can ensure that your mouth calls stay in top condition for your next hunting trip.
How Often Should I Clean My Turkey Mouth Calls?
It is recommended to clean your turkey mouth calls after each use to ensure their longevity.
What Should I Use To Clean My Turkey Mouth Calls?
You can clean your turkey mouth calls using warm water and mild soap or a cleaning solution designed specifically for game calls.
Can I Put My Turkey Mouth Calls In The Dishwasher?
No, it is not recommended to put your turkey mouth calls in the dishwasher, as the high heat and pressure may damage them.
How Do I Store My Turkey Mouth Calls After Cleaning?
After cleaning, make sure your turkey mouth calls are completely dry and store them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and moisture.
After reading this article, you now know how to clean your turkey mouth calls and keep them in excellent condition for the next hunt. Remember to clean them before and after each outing to prevent bacteria buildup and a foul smell.
Use the proper cleaning tools and be gentle when cleaning and drying them to avoid any damage. A well-maintained mouth calls not only produces better turkey sounds but also lasts longer. With the tips provided, you can keep your turkey mouth calls in optimal condition for years to come.
Don’t forget to regularly assess and replace them when they start to wear out. Happy hunting!